Monday, July 27, 2009

A Piece of History

This past weekend we decided to take a short trip to Sacramento to check out a museum which is hosting an exhibit about Abraham Lincoln. Since the weather was great...we also took had a picnic lunch on the grass in front of the State Capitol. Here's a quick funny story - While we were eating lunch, April and I noticed a lot of news trucks parked around the capitol building...we joked about how it would be interesting if a state budget was actually passed (long overdue) while we were there. After eating lunch we walked inside, looked around a little bit, and guess what we found out? While we were eating lunch the state assembly passed a budget! We even sorta got stuck in the middle of a bunch of news reporters who were waiting to hear from the governor. We didn't wait around to see the governor's news conference...but it was still kind fun to be in the right place at the right time.

The Abraham Lincoln exhibit at the California Museum was great! We had the opportunity to see a lot of historical documents from Lincoln's political career (i.e. The Gettysburg Address, The Emancipation Proclamation, etc.). It was really neat to stand and read everything...realizing that we were reading Lincoln's actual words...written by his hands. Isn't history is awesome!? One of the most interesting parts of the exhibits was a small display case containing some personal items (eyeglasses, pocket knife, etc.) found in Lincoln's pockets on the night he was shot at Ford's theatre. Very cool, and for us it was fun to take our Lincoln there. Obviously he has no idea what it's all about. He won't understand any of it for several years...but regardless, it's exciting to think about the ways we will be able to expose Lincoln to parts of history as he grows up.

Speaking of growth...I know I've probably said this a million times on the blog, but we are having a blast watching him discover new things - he recently discovered that he likes sweet potato baby food (I've got to say that I think it tastes pretty good too), he learned he has ears, that he can play with his fingers (he loves to intertwine them and then pull them apart), and that he can make different sounds with his mouth. Those are just a few examples of how he's quickly changing and learning, but most importantly... God is using Lincoln to remind us on a daily basis of how awesome He is - that he could create such a complex and amazing little thing (Lincoln). Sometimes when I am playing with Lincoln, I wonder if God is sitting in heaven and watching us...smiling and laughing with joy...knowing how awesome his creation is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I think we watched his video 20 times! Hugs, Freudenthals