This past weekend we had a birthday party for our little man. The first time we placed a helmet on his head, a shield on his arm, and a sword in his hand he came at us swinging. Note: if you ever sword fight Lincoln, be prepared to be on the defense, because he won’t let up! :-) He’s a fighter for sure! Jeremy and I had a blast coming up with a fun party for Lincoln and his friends. Jeremy built a huge cardboard castle. For me, the highlight of the party was standing there watching the kids go crazy yelling, “Storm the castle!” and, “Retreat!” It was so much fun! From the moment each kid came through the door they ran to the castle. It was definitely worth the few hours of assembly to enjoy that much kid fun! We even dressed all the little boys up like knights and the girls like princesses.
We had crafts ready for the kids (and adults) to enjoy, swords for the boys and crowns and wands for the girls. Then at one point I brought in a treasure chest full of chocolate gold coins, bracelets, necklaces, rings, etc. It was all worth it to see their faces light up! Jeremy and I are kids at heart… so we basically did what we thought would be tons of fun. But we did agree we are not going to be “those” parents who try to out-do themselves every year. So maybe a small celebration for next year. I’m not sure why… but three just felt like it needed to be big. We hope all our guests had as much fun as we did!
I still can’t believe we have a three year-old. On one hand we have come so far since 2lbs 14 oz… and on the other hand it feels like I blinked and here we are. I always get a little reminiscent around times like this… his birthday, the anniversary of when we brought him home from the hospital, etc. So be warned!I have never liked it when a certain season in life defines a person, but let’s just say that time in life grew me and left an impression on my heart. I think I’m a better mommy for spending two months with my baby in the hospital. I’m a more patient person, more sympathetic to hurting people all around me, and more aware of who God is. There is a great piece of art I saw on Pinterest (yes… I have been sucked into the black hole of “show more pins” a time or two) that simply states, “It is well with my soul.” I’m totally making that… but maybe after Christmas :-). The hymn speaks to my heart. “Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul.”
Peace and consistency no matter the circumstances is a lesson I learned from long days quietly sitting by an isolette. Rocking back and forth to the constant sound of quiet monitor beeps and air passing through ventilators, then a moment later alarms sounding and nurses rushing to a baby… sometimes my baby… There was peace in the quiet moments where the world seemed right. Peace when his heart rate dropped, the breathing stopped, and I prayed, “God please one more day.” And now there is peace while my three year-old sleeps perfectly healthy, perfectly wonderful, perfectly ours.


3 comments:
Happy birthday to the big "3" year old, Lincoln! We love you all very much and what a terrific birthday celebration it looks like from the photos. You and Jeremy are two amazing and wonderful parents. What an amazing journey God has walked with you through these past three years.
Love, The Howells
Thanks for being so transparent with your heart. I believe that is what will draw people to Jesus. I am so glad that Lincoln and Owen are buddies!
Your post was beautiful. My heart is so happy for you and your beautiful family. Thank you for the words of God's wisdom, they were much needed.
Post a Comment