Saturday, December 6, 2008

Moments

From the moment the doctors started taking care of Lincoln we were told to plan on having a lot of ups and downs. Good days and bad days. Today was a pretty good day:) We were able to spend some really good time sitting with baby Linc. The doctors gave us good reports on Lincoln's progress and they're hoping to get him breathing completely on his own in the next couple of days. Pray that this would happen!
I think we're quickly learning to slow down and appreciate moments...especially because we know that after tomorrow night, we aren't going to be able to just walk down the hallway of the hospital and see him whenever we want. It's going to be hard to bring April home without our baby boy but we trust that he's going to be well taken care of and we know that God is right there beside him in the nicu.
Tonight we got to share a really special moment. Due to some funkiness in his blood pressure earlier we hadn't been able to hold him yet today (or yesterday depending on when you're reading this:) Tonight we went in just to check on him (not expecting to hold him) and the nurse asked us if we wanted to do some skin to skin time with Linc (just like you'd think...they place the baby directly on the mother or father's bare skin). The look on April's face was great! She looked at me with a huge smile and then asked the nurse, "Can we really?" The nurse was serious and so a couple of other nurses worked together to navigate the tangle of wires and tubes and they placed Lincoln on April's chest. She was able to feel him breath...feel his heart beat...and smell his baby smell. The nurses pulled some curtains around us to give us total privacy. It was awesome just to sit and watch the two of them. Obviously I'm anxiuos to hold him too but I'll get my chance. I was just loving it...watching April enjoy every moment that she got to spend so close to Lincoln. It was the first time that we really felt like a family. The look in her eyes is hard to describe but I know that hour is something I'll never forget! It was like the entire world stopped. It's those kinds of moments that matter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that you and April got that time with Lincoln - so very precious! We just saw the last entry, too, and LOVED the video - Jer. 29:11 has special meaning to our family, too. God is so faithful, and he does have great plans for Lincoln Isaac Brown!! We, along with so many others, continue to pray for you three!
Much love,
Joe and Becky

Anonymous said...

p.s. What a gorgeous head of hair he has!! :)

Laurey said...

Lincoln is just beautiful! He looks so content listening to his mommy's heartbeat. Praise God for your new little family.
Laurey

Aaron, Leslie, Lily and Eden said...

I just love the picture of the 3 of you. After we left yesterday, I realized that I hadn't even asked what color his hair was or any sort of details like that! Silly me... so it is great to see ALL that hair.

much love to all of you!

leslie :)

Anonymous said...

Jeremy and April, I am so proud of you! Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL baby!!! I hope this baby comes home soon! Children a truly a blessing in life and I can't wait for you both to start this chapter in your life. I can't wait to visit! I love you both and will talk soon!!!!

Judy (Rezents) Davies said...

What a great thing for mom, dad and baby! We continue to hold you in prayer!
love,
Tom, Judy and family

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled to see all three of you and to catch up on how your life has changed. Congratulations! We will continue to pray for you over the next weeks as you are separated from Lincoln.

Blessings,
Susan and Dick Uhrich

Anonymous said...

He is so, so cute. Thanks for the updates. Much love and many prayers and thoughts,
Jodi

Elmarie Odendaal said...

Congratulations April and Jeremy! God delivered your Christmas present early...what a gift!
We are so glad to hear how Linclon is doing. The pictures are incredible.
Pray God's hand of peace, joy and hope be with you every day.
Love in Christ,
Gil and Elmarie Odendaal