Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Handmade Christmas

Sooo… this Christmas was sponsored by Pinterest. Haha! After visiting Pinterest a time or two, I decided I would initiate a handmade Christmas (it rubbed off on a few friends and I can’t wait to see all of their creations!). My mom and aunt planted the idea in me years ago when they reminisced about years past when they all agreed to exchange handmade gifts at Christmas. I loved the idea from the moment I heard it… so this year I committed to it. All handmade gifts. Well… not entirely true… I also picked up a “habit” from my mom of tucking away gifts throughout the year. So Lincoln will receive a few little non-mommy-made gifts. Other than the said already purchased gifts and a couple stocking stuffers, I made all of the Christmas gifts we gave by hand. I don’t think I have anticipated a Christmas like this since I was a kid. I was so excited for each person to see the gifts I chose, labored over, and love.

I LOVE to give gifts, but I’m a really picky gift-giver. I don’t like the pressure of, “What am I going to get so-and-so, because I have to give them a gift.” I love to give gifts when they are unexpected. An out-of-the-blue because I thought of you gift. I love to put tons of thought and energy into every gift I give. When you are getting married or expecting a baby, I will pour through the registry, wander the aisles for way too long, and search out that special gift that reminds me of you and me or is something I highly value. I put thought into it.

I care so much when I give a gift. It matters to me. So for the few people I made gifts for this year… please know you mean so much to me. And to the rest of our friends and family… well I ran out of time and money. JK! We’ve just decided over the years to reduce the number of gifts we give, and allow ourselves to focus on what Christmas is really all about… the real gift we received. 

...not all children pictured here are the actual grandchildren... but there are 12 of them haha!























No comments: