Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy 3 Months!!!!

Today Lincoln is three months old! We can hardly believe time has flown by so quickly. We marked the occasion with a Brown family tradition... propping baby up next to a cake showing their age. We didn't get to do this the first two months, because... well... you aren't allowed to have food in the NICU, and the second month we had just brought him home and decided a cupcake would do the trick. I (April) am always happy for an excuse to have cake, so hopefully we can carry on the tradition. :-) Next month I'll be sure to let the frosting set a bit before tipping the cake on its side... we almost lost a few letters!

It's hard not to reminisce on a day like today that marks another milestone. I won't bore you with all of my precious memories... or bring you to tears as I recount those first days in the hospital. But I will share just one of my favorite memories.

Needless to say we were in a state of shock when Lincoln arrived early, and weren't always sure what to think. It seems the emotions would change every couple minutes from thrilled to have him, to terrified becuase he was so small and plugged in with so many wires. We were watching the world go by at full speed while we sat in slow motion... it was an emotional roller coaster. But I remember the first time I thought everything was going to be okay no matter the outcome... Jeremy reached into the isolette and touched Lincoln's little hand... and Lincoln gripped Jeremy's finger. In that moment nothing else mattered than the fact that we had a son and loved him so much. I knew we would always be able to look back on those days with joy.

As a mom I'm sure I'll reminisce every birthday (and every month while he is still little). I'll have these special memories and be able to see just how far we've come. The past three months have been quite the journey and I look forward to all the adventures ahead!

3 comments:

joyfully broken said...

3 months already?! Are you serious? Wow, the time has really flown by. He gets cuter every day...thanks for all the updates!

Giana said...

Happy 3 months!!! O just turned 1 month!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I alwasy manage a few tears when I read about my little brother and his little baby!! He looks so much like both of you, in fact, I think I see a little Belle in him too! :) Lots of hugs, Aunt Julie