Saturday, January 10, 2009

Special Moments

Friday was a fun day at the hospital. Jeremy and I arrived for Lincoln's lunch a little late and the nurse had already drawn up a bottle for him (he gets fed a few different ways these days... he still has his feeding tube for when he is too sleepy to eat, but he also eats from mommy and takes a bottle of mommy's milk from the nurses). Since they already had the bottle ready, Jeremy got to feed him for the first time. Then later in the day I (April) wanted to join in the fun so I decided to bottle feed him dinner as well. Both of us need to learn to bottle feed since most all preemies continue to need some bottle meals after they go home (for example to mix his daily vitamins and such to his milk).

Yesterday one of the nurses we had when Lincoln first arrived came to visit and check in on him. She was excited at his progress and told us time would fly by from this point on, and before we know it we'll be bringing him home. That is still hard to believe and coming home still seems so far off. Linc has done great though without the oxygen, he just needs to get a little stronger at breathing and keeping his oxygen levels consistent. Then he needs to eat all of his feedings from mommy or the bottle, gain weight consistently, and maintain his temperature a little better. Then we can bring him home. I do recognize we are on the homestretch with five weeks down and a couple more to go, but... still not getting our hopes up. We have seen other parents in the NICU disappointed as they are waiting to bring baby home, only to experience a delay that extends their stay a week or so. I'm thankful the nurses and doctors want to make sure they send healthy babies home that they have confidence will thrive and not have to come back. So it is all up to God and Lincoln... Jeremy and I will sit back and let them determine when Lincoln is ready to come home and see his room and meet his puppy.

Another exciting thing on Friday was that Lincoln had some more visitors. There is a window in Lincoln's space that is always closed (opens to a hallway). We had been told by another preemie's grandparent that the windows weren't allowed to be opened to show visitors (especially not kids since they technically aren't allowed behind the locked double doors). BUT my sister, brother-in-law, and nephews came up to visit and I thought it was worth asking our nurse if we could introduce the boys to their cousin. I was so excited when she said yes! The boys were thrilled to peek in on Lincoln. It was really cute as we walked them to the window, they kept asking, is that Lincoln's room? is he close by? why is he so far? I'm sure the cousins will have lots of fun in the future! By the way.... I just counted and Lincoln has 12 cousins and another on the way (my parents get their first granddaughter in a couple months!). Some of my favorite childhood memories were of playing with all my cousins, so I'm glad Lincoln has lots too. I can't wait until the LA and Oregon cousins get to meet him too!

No comments: