Today was a big day for a couple reasons...As of today, Lincoln has been in the NICU for exactly one month. As I told some friends, the hospital has become our second home.
While April and I were driving to the hospital today, we were talking about how it's hard to not know the future. Yes, we know that Lincoln is doing well - he's consistently gaining weight...he's beginning to learn the whole eating thing...and he's able to maintain an acceptable body temperature most of the time. These are all good signs but we still have no guarantees of how much longer he will have to spend in the NICU. There are just some things that Lincoln still needs to be able to do before he can come home, and there isn't a ton we can do to control those things. Yes, I know...that good old "control" word:-) We were a little discouraged and feeling like Lincoln is just kind of maintaining and not really moving forward much, so April prayed for some encouragement.
This evening when his nurse was giving us an update, she read some instructions from one of the Neonatologists. The doctor had written orders for the nurse to take Lincoln off the nasal cannula...to see how he does at breathing completely on his own. We were pretty surprised...as was the nurse. But following the doctors orders, she took away the security blanket of constant oxygen flow and stood by to see how he did. We were really excited to watch his oxgyen levels go up and stay up! He did great at breathing on his own. It was just the kind of encouragement we needed. While there is still a chance he may go back on some oxygen in the future, we're hoping for the best.
Another reason that today was a big day...we were reminded that life is still really fragile. After seeing Lincoln breath great on his own for a little bit, we went to eat something for dinner. When we got back he was still doing good. We sat down for a few minutes until Lincoln's heart rate dropped really low...really fast. Completely unknown to us, he was choking on some spit-up. He didn't make any sounds to give us a clue that something was wrong. One of the alarms on his monitor just went off and two nurses ran over. They started suctioning his mouth. They unwrapped him and starting rubbing his body to keep his heart going. April and I were just standing there frozen, really scared. No warning...it just happened really quick. Once things calmed down, and Lincoln was stable again, the nurse turned him on his side to prevent any more of these episodes. For the rest of the night, all of his vital signs were normal.
For a few minutes we watched as Lincoln (or God) reminded us that life can change in a second. What's really weird is that even as I write these words, I' m reminded of a song I talked about in a blog post during the first week of our adventure. The song "God You Reign"..well I think it's pretty self-explanatory what the song is about from the title...but, no matter how much we think we've got things figured out...no matter how great things are going...God is still in charge.
We pray with our hands on Lincoln every night before we come home so I am going to ask you to take a minute and pray for Lincoln right now. Ask God to wrap his awesome arms around Lincoln and watch over him as the next days and weeks go by. Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot to us.
Here's a quick look back at some moments from the first month of Lincoln's life.
7 comments:
This post reminded me of just how important our prayers really are...we will definitely continue to life up Lincoln and you guys on a daily basis. Thanks for that incredible video, as usual, it made me cry. God has the most awesome plans in store for your little guy.
love and prayers!
I get a little teary watching how Lincoln is growing and how his mommy and daddy are blessing him. I prayed for you all today.
Can't wait to hug you all!!!
Deb Dooley
We love you, Jeremy, April and Lincoln. You are prayed for every day and our prayer this morning was that you would each feel God's arms wrapped around you today. That prayer was said before we read your blog asking for just that prayer for Lincoln. Thank you for letting us see how precious life is through Lincoln.
Love,
The Howell family
Jeremy and April,I have started to write this so many times, but I always end up writting much more than a comment. I can't tell you how very proud we are of the both of you! Your love for each other is so evident and now you've added that beautiful baby boy to our family. My heart overflows when I think of how God is using you as examples of how much He loves us all. The Nurses and the Drs., the parents of the other babies in the NICU, and anyone else that is reading this blog can't help but be blessed! Take care of each other! Nana and Papa
I cannot express how much it means to me to be included in this crazy incredible time of your lives. (The slide show is excellent!) We continue to pray for you.
Judy and Tom Davies
That is the cutest picture of him yet! So glad he is okay. Great video. Love you all.
Quit making me cry!!! What an incredible journey in just 4 short weeks (ok... I think it's short, but I imagine you don't share my same timeline!). What a blessing you all are and how you are turning around blessing others.
much love,
leslie
p.s. Lily prays for baby Linc every night. It's so cute!
Post a Comment