.jpg)
Lincoln was doing pretty good again today. The nurses increased the amount of milk they are feeding him, but they are still closely monitoring how well his digestive system is working. We are a little nervous to see how this whole eating and digesting thing will turn out. It also made us a little anxious to watch his vital signs tonight. Lincoln's heart rate and breathing were both high, probably because he is getting caffeine. We've been told that it's common for preemies to stop breathing for short periods of time because they're lungs and brain are still immature (apnea). The caffeine is supposed to stimulate them to continuously breathe. Although the nurses have told us this kind of thing is common it's still hard to watch his vital signs race so fast. We wish we could do something to calm him down.Watching his vital signs tonight made reality sink in a little more. When he was first born I felt like I was just watching a baby in a box, then after holding him we bonded and he was my baby boy... now I'm realizing my baby boy is hooked up to machines with monitors and meds. There isn't much I can do as I just sit and watch. It is a strange, helpless feeling. I'm not sure why this reality hadn't hit me before... especially since he isn't hooked up to nearly as many things as he was. I'm sure it is just part of the process and the emotional journey we are on.
Reality is this is going to be a long journey for us, but the past week has already flown by and I'm sure before we know it we will be bringing Lincoln home. Reality is we are going to have days like today (or worse) where things aren't all going perfectly. Preemies have to work hard to catch up and sometimes they forget to breathe or their heart skips. It's scary to sit and watch, but I think it will make us appreciate every other milestone in his development.
Since last Friday morning when Linc was born nothing has felt the same. Every joy in life is so much more joyful and every moment is more fulfilling. I don't think I have ever cried more or laughed more or had such peace and contentment. I'm sure God is being gracious to me, blocking some of the heartache and keeping the scary moments away as he protects Linc from what could possibly be. We are taking it one day at a time, one moment at a time, and trusting God and his sovereignty.I knew being parents would change us, I just never knew it would be this amazing.
4 comments:
Those are the sweetest side by side photos of Jeremy and Lincoln. You are going to have your hands full with a big Jeremy and a little version of Jeremy. I love catching up with you all each day. You are such wonderful blessings to our family and we cannot wait to be a blessing to yours. We love you and continue lifting you up in prayer.
Love,
Tim, Dena, Drew, Faith and Charlotte
Those pictures are absolutely hilarious. So priceless! A day doesn't go by that we're not praying for you guys. Our Bible study is keeping you guys in prayer too. They were thrilled to hear about how well Linc has been doing and promised to continue to pray.
love and prayers,
Michael and Allison
You guys are doing an amazing job being so patient and waiting on our faithful Father to bring little Lincoln to his best healthy and strongest point! We'll continue to pray that the next few weeks fly by and Lincoln continues to make good progress! We love you 3!
April, Great post! Thanks for the udpate and for sharing the details about your thoughts. I love your last line. So true! I feel like I need to post it around my house to remind myself of the big picture - God uses my children to humble me, to change me, to conform me every day more and more in to the image of His Son. It isn't easy. I fight it, but He is patient and gracious and so wise in all of it. And to think you/we are just getting started! We still have so much to learn....Your boy is so sweet. I can't believe how alert he is! Give him a big kiss from his aunt Jodi!
Post a Comment